The holidays have come and gone. It's the time of year when people start looking ahead to what this year will hold for them and focusing on their budgets.
When it comes to buying, planning on when to invest in a new product is as important as reading the Internet reviews or comparing features between similar products. Knowing when stores are slashing prices in an effort to push out old stock or for upcoming holidays will save you big bucks.
An excellent rule of thumb is to buy out of season. This means planning ahead for big purchases,like air conditioners or grills. It also may entail waiting until the height of the season has past, like wrapping paper after Christmas or chocolate post Valentine's Day.
As we approach mid-January, what items should you be looking to purchase? Here is a brief list courtesy of LifeHacker.com:
- Clothing: Stores are offering big discounts post-holiday. Plus, they are looking to make room for the upcoming season.
- Carpeting & Flooring: Many people upgrade their carpets or flooring at the end of the year due to holiday festivities. Often, these items go on sale after the New Year's parties.
- Furniture: Most furniture companies release new products twice a year: in February and August. This means there are made deals to make room for new pieces.
- Suits: Not a lot of people buy suits in January for it is a period between major events (holiday and wedding season).
- Video Games: Companies push out the newest games in time for the holidays. Which means those hot commodities are often on sale after the new year.
- Linens and Bedding: This, like clothing, will be reduced at various times year round as retailers discount last season to make room for the next.
- Air Conditioners & Grills: They are out of season and now is a great time to purchase those summer must-haves.
- Motorcycles: Winter is not prime riding weather, but spring is just a stone's throw away. An investment during January will save you big bucks when the weather shifts.
- Electronics: Those not purchased for the holidays will be deeply discounted. This includes TVs and home theater systems.
- Exercise Equipment: Many people have made plans to make 2013 the year they make headway on a healthier lifestyle and exercise equipment companies are looking to make that goal easier with reduced prices.
- Wedding accessories
- Winter clothing