Valentine’s day! Go beyond the traditional card and box of candy hearts with cute sayings. Why not spend an extra moment or two to decorate your home to make every member of your family feel special! Follow these simple tips to make your whole day a fun Valentine’s Day treat.
- First things first: Make your bed! This will set a nice tone for the whole day, for you and your family.
- Before everyone wakes up: Surprise with little presents or a card by the door to each bedroom or at each person’s bathroom. Handmade or store bought, a simple loving treasure will make each person feel like you’ve thought about them. Heart stickers, a real, dried or even fake flower, a cute stuffed toy, a small heart-shaped chocolate or a new red toy car or coffee cup are just some ideas.
- Dress in red or pink. Embrace the day. It will put you in a Valentine’s Day spirit! Plan a little extra time in the morning so you have time to look good and feel your best.
- Laugh frequently during the day to lift your love spirits.
- Call faraway loved ones and friends to say hello.
- In the evening: Think romance. Cozy the chairs up to the fireplace, use the dimmer switches, turn on the lamps for a warm ambience.
- Gather some new candles on a tray or tabletop. Keep it simple, vary the sizes but they should all be the same color and scent.
- If you buy flowers, consider orchids, which last a lot longer than cut flowers. If you’re on a budget, choose red tulips or other charming flower. They still represent love and they’re less expensive than red roses!
- Throw some raspberries into champagne glasses for a romantic touch.
- Visit Trader Joe's for your shopping: they are the not-so-secret weapon for faking fancy. The great wines, decent cheeses, and special olive oil are all super values.
- Set up a picnic or dessert on the bed, or on the living room floor for the whole family.
- Buy new sheets or pillow cases for everyone in the family. It will make them feel like they’re on vacation. At a minimum iron freshly laundered sheets and add extra pillows for an extra special experience!
- Place treats on the pillows, or set out new pajamas, eye masks or robes for everyone.
- Don't forget yourself: make a cup of your favorite tea, and take a moment to think of the people closest to you, and reflect on how much you are loved. Get your hair cut, buy a new nail polish or bath oil, and enjoy!
Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Photos courtesy of Pottery Barn, Better Homes and Gardens website and miscellaneous web sources.